This classic recipe, taken from a 1946 issue of Women’s Weekly, has been updated. The quick dish is easy to make and delicious too
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 175g (6oz) macaroni
- 90g (3oz) frozen peas
- 70g pack diced pancetta or chopped bacon
- 200ml tub crème fraîche
- ½ tsp ready-made mustard, or a pinch of mustard powder
- 90g (3oz) mature Cheddar, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Add the pasta to a pan of boiling, salted water and cook for 10 mins, adding the peas for the last couple of mins of cooking.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the pancetta, or bacon, for about 5 mins until crispy.
- Drain the macaroni with the peas, return it to the pan and stir in the crème fraîche, mustard, pancetta, or bacon, grated cheese and seasoning. Warm through for a min. Serve with a green salad, and chutney, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.