This buttery, crumbly traditional spelt shortbread recipe is made with refined spelt flour – a healthier alternative that still tastes delicious!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 12 green cardamom pods, husks removed, seeds ground
- 125g (4oz) refined spelt flour
- 50g (1¾oz) rice flour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Baking sheet lined with Bakewell paper
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Roughly crush the cardamom pods, remove the husks and grind the seeds to get ½ tsp spice.
- Add to the creamed mixture with the spelt flour and rice flour. Stir until the mixture binds together.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C.
- Roll the dough out to a 20cm (8in) round and place on the paper on baking sheet.
- Mark into 8 portions. Pinch the edges and prick with a fork.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until pale golden.
- Leave for 5 mins, then re-mark the sections if need be.
- Transfer, on the paper, to a rack to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.