They’re creepy, they’re kooky, they’re easy almond cookies! The kids will love making these biscuits – at Halloween or any time.
- 100g (3½oz) butter
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- Finely grated rind of
- ½ a lemon
- 150g (5oz) plain flour, sifted
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C.
- Soften the butter with a wooden spoon, then beat in the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and lemon rind, flour and ground almonds.
- The dough is very soft, so dust the work surface with flour. Roll the dough out in 2 or 3 batches and cut out shapes with cutters.
- Place the shapes on baking trays and bake about 12-14 minutes. Cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- To decorate: Make up icing with sifted icing sugar and water. Leave some white icing in the bowl and colour the rest of it in separate bowls with the black, orange and green food colourings, or whatever colourings you have. Let the children ice the cookies, spreading it on with a palette knife, or piping patterns on using icing tubes. Finally, decorate the biscuits with chocolate strands and chocolate drops.
Nutritional information per portion