A light and spring/summery salad using seasonal ingredients of asparagus, beans and peas along with quails’ eggs and home-made Parmesan crisps
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 12-16 asparagus spears
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g (3½oz) green beans
- 100g (3½oz) fresh or frozen peas
- 3 tbsp lemon oil or olive oil
- 2 handfuls of wild rocket
- A few basil and mint leaves
- 12 quails’ eggs or 3 medium eggs, hard-boiled
- 125g (4oz) Parmesan, grated
- To make the Parmesan crisps: Heat a large, non-stick frying pan and add 4tbsp rounds of grated Parmesan, spaced apart. Leave over a medium heat for 2-3 mins to cook.
- Take pan off the heat; after 30 seconds, remove with a plastic palette knife and put over a rolling pin to curl, or keep flat on a cooling rack. Set aside and make 2 more batches of Parmesan crisps in the same way.
- Add asparagus to a pan of boiling salted water. Return to the boil and cook for a minute. Take out with a draining spoon and refresh under cold, running water. Add green beans and cook for 1 min, then add peas and cook for 1 min. Drain and refresh.
- Dry vegetables in a tea towel, put them in a bowl, season and add 1 tbsp lemon oil, then add the rocket and herb leaves and a little more oil.
- Pile salad on 4 plates, tuck halved or quartered eggs in, drizzle with more oil and serve with Parmesan crisps
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.