A super-healthy salad with butternut squash, broccoli and barley, dressed with mustard and honey. And less than 10g fat per person.
- 600g(1¼lb) peeled butternut squash, cut into 1cm (½in) cubes
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) pearl barley
- 200g (7oz) tenderstem broccoli, chopped into smaller pieces
- 2tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 2tsp coarse-grain mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C. Put the butternut squash and red onion wedges in a large roasting tin with the oil. Season, mix well and roast for 30-35 mins until tender, stirring halfway through.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and stir in the barley. Simmer, covered, for 30 mins, add the broccoli and cook for another 5 minutes until the broccoli is only just tender.
- Make the dressing by whisking the maple syrup/honey with mustard and lemon juice in a large bowl. Drain the barley and broccoli well and stir it into the dressing in the bowl. Then stir in the roast vegetables and any cooking juices. (Not suitable for freezing).
Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.