Serve your family a quick and easy dinner with this tasty beetroot salad with sizzling steak. At just 293 calories, it’s a great healthy option too, packed with protein, veg and nutritious seeds
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseed)
- Pinch of chilli powder or dried chilli flakes, optional
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 250g (8oz) sirloin steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 baby beetroot
- 1 ripe avocado
- Large handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Vinaigrette dressing
- French bread, to serve
- Heat a frying pan, add the seeds, with some chilli, if you like, and cook for about 1 min, until they start to toast and pop. Tip them into a bowl or on to kitchen paper.
- Heat the pan again (or a griddle) over a high heat. Rub 1 tsp oil over the steak, season well and sear for 2-4 mins on each side, or to your liking (but we think this tastes better if the steak is medium-rare). Take off and leave on a chopping board, loosely covered, to rest for 5-10 mins.
- Cut the beetroot into quarters and mix with the rest of the oil in a salad bowl. Halve, stone, peel and slice the avocado and add to the beetroot, along with the parsley leaves.
- Thinly slice the steak and serve separately with the salad or tuck pieces of steak into the salad. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve with French bread.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.