Steak and kidney pudding is the ultimate British comfort food. Line a pudding basin with home-made suet pastry and then fill the pastry case with meat and onion and leave to steam
Prep time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 4 hrs
Total time: 4 hrs 45 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 750g (1½lb) chuck or braising steak, in one piece
- 125g (4oz) pig (or ox) kidneys
- 1 rounded tbsp well-seasoned flour
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 150ml (¼ pint) stock or water
For the suet pastry:
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp salt
- 125g (4oz) shredded suet (beef or vegetable)
You will also need:
- 1.75 litre (3 pint) pudding basin, buttered well
- Double thickness of greaseproof paper, pleated, and string
- Cut meat into thin slices, then in 2.5cm (1in) strips. Core, then chop kidney into small pieces. Roll a strip of meat around a piece of kidney, then coat meat in flour.
- To make the pastry: Sift flour with salt; mix in suet. Add cold water (about 8 tbsp) to make a soft dough, using a knife.
- Put on a floured surface, cut off a quarter of the pastry and roll out evenly to a round, about 1cm (½in) thick. Dust the pastry with flour, fold it lightly in 4, then put it into the basin, unfold and press it up the sides of the basin, so that it just overlaps the top.
- Fill pastry case with meat and sliced onion alternately. Pour in the cold stock or water. Roll out rest of pastry to form a lid. Moisten top edge of pastry and press lid on firmly. Butter paper on one side and put over pudding, tying it with string. Trim off surplus paper. Steam the pudding for 4 hours, in a double steamer or large, lidded pan. Keep topping up boiling water, to come halfway up sides of basin.
- Take off paper. Cut a slice of pastry from top and add a little hot stock or water to increase the amount of gravy, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.