Enjoy this tasty steak dinner for two with a rich stilton, mushroom and Marsala sauce
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 fillet steaks, each about 125-150g (4-5oz)
- 250g carton chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons Marsala
- 142-170ml carton double cream
- 100g (3½oz) mature Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Season the steak and add it to the hot oil. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, depending on how well you like your steak done. Remove from the pan and keep it warm while making the sauce (this also gives the steak time to rest before serving).
- Add sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until they have softened and started to turn golden. Pour in the Marsala, and leave the mixture to bubble until it has reduced to about 1 tablespoon, then pour the cream into the pan. Bring the cream to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce until it has thickened.
- Add the crumbled Stilton to the pan and stir until it starts to melt. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Transfer steak to serving plates, spoon the sauce over and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.