A traditional German Christmas fruit cake with warming spices (and rum!), this is a delicious pud for cold Christmas nights.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 175g (6oz) dried mixed fruit
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp rum
- 350g (12oz) strong plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 90g (3oz) butter, melted
- 150ml (¼ pint) warm milk
- 1 medium egg
- 175g (6oz) white marzipan
For the topping
- 15g (½ oz) butter, melted
- Icing sugar to dredge
- Baking sheet, buttered
- Tip the dried fruit into a small bowl and add the lemon rind and rum. Stir the fruit, then cover the bowl. Leave the fruit for at least 2 hrs, or overnight.
- To make the dough, tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt and yeast. Lightly beat together the butter, milk and egg and add to the flour mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 8-10 mins, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Make a dip in the centre of the dough and pour in the fruit and any remaining juices in the bowl. Knead the fruit into the dough.
- Roll the dough out to about 25 x 20cm (10 x 8in). Knead the marzipan to soften it and then roll it out into a long sausage shape, just slightly shorter than the dough. Place the marzipan on the dough, and then fold the dough over it. Bring the other side of the dough over into the centre, to give a slightly oval shape.
- Place the stollen on a buttered baking sheet, and cover it with a lightly oiled piece of cling film. Leave in a warm place until the stollen has doubled in size.
- Set the oven to a fairly hot gas mark 6 or 200°C. Bake the stollen, towards the top of the oven, for 20-30 mins, or until it sounds hollow when lifted off the baking sheet and tapped underneath.
- Remove the stollen from the oven and slide it onto a wire rack. Immediately brush over the melted butter and heavily dredge it with icing sugar. Leave it to cool. The stollen will keep for up to 5-7 weeks if wrapped tightly in foil and stored in a cool place. Re-dust with icing sugar before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.