Impress friends and family by serving this indulgent but light summery dessert
Prep time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hr 30 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the meringue:
- 5 medium egg whites
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 1 level tablespoon cornflour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling:
- 300ml carton double cream
- 2 level tablespoons icing sugar
- 250g (8oz) strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons kirsch
- A few extra strawberries, for decoration, optional
You’ll also need:
- 33 x 21cm (13 x 8½in) Swiss-roll tin lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to gas 2or 150°C.
- To make the meringue: Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add 1 tablespoon caster sugar and whisk again to form stiff, but soft, peaks. Add half the remaining caster sugar and whisk until stiff and shiny. Quickly whisk in the rest of the sugar and the cornflour. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface.
- Bake meringue for 45 mins in the centre of the oven until it’s just firm to the touch. Cool, uncovered, for at least 1 hr.
- To make the filling: Pour the cream into a bowl, add the icing sugar and whisk it until it forms soft peaks, then fold in the chopped strawberries and kirsch.
- Turn the meringue out on to a sheet of baking parchment, dusted with icing sugar. Spread the strawberry mixture over. Roll up from one of the short sides, using the paper to help. Transfer to serving dish and keep chilled until ready to serve. Serve decorated with some halved strawberries, if liked.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.