A delightful sweet to celebrate any occasion. This is easy and cheap to made. The meringues are piped into heart and round shapes.
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 3 large egg whites
- 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tbs icing sugar, sieved
- About 3 tbs sugar confetti heart sprinkles
- 568ml carton double cream
- 500g (1lb) fresh strawberries, hulled
- Piping bag and 1cm (1/2in) plain nozzle
- 2 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
- Glass vase
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 1/2 or 120°C. Put the egg whites into a clean, grease-free bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until stiff. Add the sugar, a tbs at a time, whisking well between additions for a stiff, shiny meringue — the mixture should not move around in the bowl. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Spoon the meringue into the piping bag and pipe several heart shapes and lots of mini round meringues on to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hr, turn off the heat and leave in the oven for another hour to dry out. Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
- To serve, pile the meringues into a tall, clean glass vase. Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with the sugar confetti heart sprinkles. Serve with lightly whipped cream and whole or halved strawberries.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.