Pretty as a picture and easy to make, these delicious cupcakes will impress kids and adults and would make a gorgeous food gift too
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 23 mins
Total time: 43 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
For the cakes:
- 12 cupcakes made using basic cupcake mixture
For the sunflower icing:
- Yellow paste food colouring
- 3-4tbsp dark chocolate sprinkles or vermicelli
- Large piping bag fitted with petal/leaf piping tube e.g. PME ST52
- Have your basic cupcakes ready.
- As soon as the buttercream has been made and while it’s still soft, whisk in sufficient food paste colouring to give a bright yellow colour.
- Spread a thin layer of yellow buttercream over the top of each cake. Press a round of the chocolate sprinkles or vermicelli in the centre.
- Fill the piping bag, fitted with the petal tube, with the remainder of the yellow buttercream. Pipe a layer of petals around the outside of the cakes, then pipe another row a little way in, to give a double row of petals on each cake.
Nutritional information per portion