If you’ve ever visited Portugal you would surely have enjoyed one or more of these custrd tarts, made with puff pastry and filled with a lemony, spicy egg custard
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 lemon slices
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 30g (1oz) plain flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 200ml (7fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 375g pack puff pastry sheet
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ level tsp cinnamon
- Baking tray
- 7.5cm (3in) round cutter
- 12-hole muffin tin, greased
- Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put in a baking tray to heat up. Put the sugar, lemon slices and cinnamon sticks in a pan with 100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Mix the flour, cornflour and vanilla with 3 tbsp milk. Pour the rest into the pan and bring to the boil, then pour some of it into the flour mixture, whisking to combine. Return mixture to the pan and simmer, stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Remove the lemon slices and cinnamon stick from the sugar syrup. Gradually pour the syrup into the custard, whisking well. Turn off the heat and whisk in the egg yolks. Cool for 5 mins.
- Unroll the pastry sheet on a surface lightly dusted with flour and icing sugar. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 2p piece.
- Stamp out 12 x 7.5cm (3in) rounds with a cutter (you may need to re-roll the pastry to cut out the final two). Ease the pastry rounds into the muffin tins.
- Pour the custard into the pastry cases. Put the muffin tin on the preheated baking sheet. Bake for 20 mins, until the pastry is crisp and the tops golden. Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar and cinnamon to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.