A great meal with a relatively cheap bacon collar joint, this is slow cooked in pale ale for maximum flavour. A great favourite revived from a 1966 issue of Woman’s Weekly
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 20 mins
Total time: 2 hrs 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1.5kg (3lb) bacon collar joint
- 1 tbs mustard powder
- 2 tbs demerara sugar
- 600ml bottle pale ale
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 500g (1lb) new potatoes
- 3 med carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 med leeks, trimmed, thickly sliced
- Cut the thick skin off the joint, along with some of the fat. Mix the mustard and sugar and rub it over the joint. Put it in a casserole and leave for 20 mins while the oven heats up to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C.
- Pour the ale into the casserole and add the thyme, potatoes and carrots. Cook in the oven for 1¼ hours.
- Add the leeks and continue cooking for 45 mins, until the bacon and vegetables are tender.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.