A picnic treat – this salad mixes the sweetness of the fruit with the spiceness of ginger
Prep time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 Charentais or ogen melon
- 3 kiwi fruit
- About 24 strawberries
- FOR THE SYRUP:
- 60g (2oz) sugar
- 60g (2oz) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bruised, or parings from 1 lemon, optional
- To make the syrup: Put the sugar and 300ml (½ pint) water in a pan over a low heat. When sugar dissolves, add the ginger slices and lemongrass or lemon parings, bring to the boil and boil for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the fruit. Cut the melon into quarters, scrape out the seeds and cut each wedge in two, then into thick slices, taking away the skin. Peel kiwi fruit, cut them in half, then into thick slices.
- Layer the melon and kiwi pieces in a bowl, or in jars, if you like. Halve or quarter the strawberries and put them on top.
- Strain the syrup
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.