Fresh tomato and cucumber salad with torn crispy baguette tossed in like croutons to soak up the delicious basil dressing
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1-2 baguettes
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of mustard powder
- Pinch of caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5kg (3lb) plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1-2 red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly torn basil leaves
- Set the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4. Cut the baguette(s) in half lengthways and rub the cut surface of the garlic over the inside of the bread, then brush 2-3 tablespoons olive oil over it. Place bread on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until it is a light golden colour on top, then turn it over and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, until the bread has dried out. Remove baking sheet from the oven and place the bread on a wire rack to cool. When cold, break the baguette into pieces.
- To make the dressing, crush the garlic cloves and mix with the remaining olive oil, vinegar, mustard powder, sugar and seasoning, then whisk with a fork until mixed.
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber and red onion in a bowl and pour over the dressing. Stir in the bread and basil to coat in the dressing just before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.