A tomato salsa on top of a toasted ciabatta is a simple Italian recipe perfect for a starter with drinks, snack or light lunch tomato salsa on toasted ciabatta for a starter with drinks
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6-8 ripe tomatoes
- Small bunch of basil
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices ciabatta bread
- A handful of rocket leaves
- Balsamic vinegar, optional
- Peel and crush 2 of the garlic cloves and put in a bowl. Quarter, deseed and roughly chop tomatoes, and add to the bowl with the torn basil, 4 tablespoons of the oil, and seasoning.
- Heat a griddle pan or the grill. Brush bread on both sides with rest of oil. Griddle or grill the bread on both sides. Halve the last garlic clove and rub the cut sides over the toasted bread.
- Pile tomato mixture on the toasts, and garnish with a few rocket leaves. Drizzle with a little more oil, and vinegar, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.