This is a great spicy and tangy, non-fat accompaniment to many dishes. It is also a great gift to foodies both vegetarian and meateaters.
Makes: 900g (2lb)
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr 25 mins
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 900g (2lb) ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 star anise
- 600g (1¼lb) golden caster sugar
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 2 x 500g (1lb) jars, sterilised
- Put half the tomatoes into a processor with the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Whizz to a purée, then transfer to a heavy-based pan with the rest of the tomatoes.
- Add the star anise, sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 50 mins, until the chutney is thickened. Skim off any scum.
- Pour the chutney into the jars. Cover, seal and label. Store in the fridge and use within 1 month.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.