Top garlic, spinach and saffron flavoured rice with some tomatoes to make this quick and easy meal. Ready in just 15 mins, it’s the perfect mid-week meal option
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2tbsps olive oil
- 300g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- Pinch of saffron strands
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 250g pack cooked microwave basmati rice
- 2 good handfuls (60g/2oz) spinach leaves, washed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of small basil leaves
- 4tbsps freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat a frying pan, add the oil and the tomatoes, in one layer, and cook for about 3 mins, to soften and colour them, but ensure they still hold their shape. Take out of the pan, using a draining spoon, and set aside.
- Put the saffron in a cup with 4 tbsps hot water.
- Add the garlic and rice to the tomato juices left in the pan, breaking the rice up with a fork. Then stir in the saffron and water, and the spinach. Let it wilt a little into the rice for a few mins. Season.
- Stir in the tomatoes and basil leaves, sprinkle with a couple of tbsps of Parmesan, then serve with the extra Parmesan.
Nutritional information per portion