Tombi Peck’s delicious recipe for perfect cheese and bacon tart comes from South Africa – but is perfect for a British supper!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs:Cheap as chips
For the pastry case:
- 125g (4oz) butter125g (4oz) mature Cheddar
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 medium eggs
- 125ml (4fl oz) milk
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- To make the pastry case: grate the butter and cheese and place in a bowl with the flour, salt and cayenne. Rub the mixture together until it forms large crumbs, then tip the mixture into the flan tin and press it against the base and sides, trying to keep it an even thickness. Chill the pastry case for at least 15 minutes, or overnight.
- To make the filling: Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the bacon. Cook over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until it starts to crisp, then remove pan from the heat and leave the bacon to cool.
- Beat together eggs, milk, seasoning and Worcestershire sauce, then stir in the bacon and onion. Pour mixture into the pastry case. Bake tart in the centre of the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the filling has just set and is a light golden colour. Remove the flan tin from the oven and leave the tart to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack. Serve hot or at room temperature, with a salad.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.