Mixing sausages, pork belly and streaky bacon with cannellini beans, this easy casserole is great for cold nights.
Skill level:Easy peasy
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 herby/garlic chorizo-style sausages
- 6 chunky pieces pork belly, approximately 1kg (2¼lb)
- 200g (7oz) smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 4 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 level tsp paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200ml (7fl oz) hot ham or pork stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the sausages. Cook them over a medium heat for about 5-7 mins, turning them regularly until they have browned. Transfer the sausages to a casserole dish.
- In a frying pan, cook the pork belly for about 5-7 mins, turning it occasionally until it’s browned on all surfaces and then add it to the casserole dish.
- Add the bacon, onion and celery to the frying pan and cook for about 5 mins, turning mixture occasionally until the bacon starts to brown and the onion and celery have softened. Sprinkle the paprika over and cook for a further minute, then transfer mixture to the casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and stock to dish and season. Stir the contents of casserole gently to mix them, then cover the dish.
- Place the casserole dish in the centre of the oven and cook for 1½-2 hrs, or until the pork is tender. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, with mashed potato to soak up all the juices, if you like.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.