A topping of pineapple, kiwi fruit and pomegranate seeds gives the traditional pavlova a tropical twist. It’s a pud that the whole family will love
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
Total time: 1 hr 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 4 large egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 200g carton whipped cream
- 200g carton prepared pineapple cubes
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½-1 x 110g carton prepared pomegranate
You will also need:
- Baking sheet with non-stick liner or baking parchment
- Set the oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1.
- Tip the egg whites into a bowl and whisk them until stiff, then gradually whisk in half the sugar. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Add the rest of the sugar, cornflour and vinegar to the bowl and whisk very briefly until it’s all combined.
- Turn the mixture out on to the lined baking sheet and spread it out to about a 25-30cm round, leaving it shallower in the centre and thicker at the edges.
- Cook the meringue in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼ hours, or until it feels set to the touch and is an even, pale colour. Turn off the oven and leave the meringue to cool in the oven.
- To make the topping: Just before serving, stir the icing sugar into the whipped cream and spread it over the centre of the meringue case. Top with the pineapple cubes, kiwi fruit and scatter the pomegranate seeds on top.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.