Melt-in-the-mouth cookies with a lovely hint of vanilla. This vanilla cookie recipe is the perfect base for any decorations you wish to try
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
You will also need:
- Baking sheets, lined with non-stick liners or baking parchment
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then the flour until the mixture binds together to form a dough. If the dough is very soft, wrap it in a plastic bag and chill it until it’s firm enough to roll out.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3-4mm (nearly ¼in) thick and use cutters to cut out shapes, re-rolling trimmings as necessary until all the dough is used.
- Place the cut-out shapes on the lined baking sheets. If there is time, chill the shapes for 10-15 mins before baking.
- Bake the biscuits in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins, or until the cookies start to turn golden at the edges. Remove the baking sheets from the oven.
- Leave the cookies to cool for a few mins on the baking sheets, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely and decorate as you wish.
- To freeze: The cold cookies may be packed into a plastic container and frozen for up to 3 months. After defrosting, they may be “refreshed” in a hot oven for a few mins to re-crisp them.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.