Great for dinner-party guests who don’t eat meat, this unusual, delicious vegetarian terrine combines polenta with courgettes, onions, peppers, sunblush tomatoes and sweetcorn
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 courgettes, trimmed and sliced
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 250g (8oz) polenta
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 75g (2½oz) Parmesan, grated
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- 8 sunblush tomatoes in oil, drained
- 8 basil leaves
- 900g (2lb) loaf tin, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C. Put the oil, courgette, red onion and pepper into a large roasting tin. Stir to coat in oil, then roast for 20 mins until tender and beginning to char.
- Put polenta into a pan, add some salt, garlic and 1 litre (1¾ pints) boiling water. Heat and stir for a few minus until thickened and coming away from the sides of pan. Stir in the butter, Parmesan and sweetcorn, and season with pepper.
- Arrange tomatoes and basil on the base of loaf tin. Spoon over half of the warm polenta mixture and level surface. Arrange half of the roasted vegetables on top. Cover with the rest of the polenta, then arrange the rest of the roasted vegetables on top.
- Cover with baking parchment and wrap in foil. Cool and chill for 4 hours, or overnight.
- To serve: Set oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C. Warm in the oven for 25 mins. Turn out and slice.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.