Woman’s Weekly’s Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, shows you how to make this classic apple crumble. Follow along with her in our simple step-by-step video.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 3 cooking apples (about 1kg/2lb)
- 4tbsp sultanas
- 4tbsp granulated sugar
- 1tsp mixed spice
- Half a lemon, optional
- Ovenproof dish
For the topping
- 90g (3oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) porridge oats
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 2tbsp granulated sugar
- Set the oven to moderately hot, 190°C or gas 5.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and put into the dish, layering up with the sultanas, sugar and spice. Sprinkle with lemon juice if you have some but not essential.
- To make the topping: put the flour and oats in a bowl, rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the fruit, pressing it down lightly.
- Put the dish on a baking tray and cook 15 mins then reduce the temperature to 180°C and cook another 30-40 mins.
- Serve hot with custard.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.