This chocolate and orange cake is the perfect afternoon treat, learn how to make it with our easy-to-follow recipe video from the Woman’s Weekly kitchen
Makes: 8-10 slices
Prep time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 200g (7oz) self raising flour
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 orange, finely zested rind and 4 tbsp juice
- 100g bar plain chocolate, melted
- 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, with parchment liner
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C.
- Tip the flour into a bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and orange rind and juice. Beat the mixture until smooth.
- Spoon half mixture into the lined loaf tin and drizzle over half of the melted chocolate. Spoon the rest of the cake batter on top and then drizzle over the remaining chocolate. Use a skewer or fine-bladed knife to swirl the mixture.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 50-60mins, or until it feels just firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and tip it out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve the cake warm or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.