Aubergines are meaty and filling – serve this easy veggie treat at your barbecue as a meat-free alternative.
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 2medium aubergines, cut into 1cm (½in) thick slices8-10 tbsp light
- Olive oil
For the dressing:
- 100ml (3½fl oz) virgin olive oil
- Finely zested rind of 1 lemon and 2tbsp juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 level tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 level tablespoons chopped fresh lemon thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with olive oil and cook them on a medium-hot barbecue for about 3-5 mins on each side, until they are starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender, and whizz until smooth, or finely chop all the ingredients and mix them together well.
- When the aubergine slices are cooked, lay them in a large shallow dish and spread the dressing over. Leave for at least 15 mins for the flavours to blend. This salad can be served warm.
- Not suitable for freezing
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.