Enjoy the wonderful winter taste and aroma of roasted chestnuts in this light lemon and rocket salad with slices of Parma ham.
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 1 lemon, rind only
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200g (7oz) cooked, peeled chestnuts, halved
- 1 small head of radicchio lettuce, quartered and shredded
- 4 handfuls of rocket
- 8 slices Parma ham
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the rind off the lemon using a swivel-headed peeler to take thin parings.
- Warm the oil with the parings in a frying pan over a low heat until they just sizzle gently. Cook for about 10 mins.
- Add the halved chestnuts and warm them through for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the radicchio, rocket and torn shreds of ham between 4 plates, then the warm chestnuts and a few pieces of lemon paring. Drizzle with the lemon oil and season well. (Not suitable for freezing).
How to buy and cook chestnuts: Look for chestnuts that feel firm, with a lustrous brown skin. To cook, make a cut into the round side of each nut; put in a pan. Sprinkle with water and cook over a brisk heat for 10-20 mins, shaking the pan so they don’t burn. Or prepare as above and roast on a tray in a hot oven for 15-20 mins until skins pull back and flesh is soft. Tip into a tea towel, wrap and squeeze so they crackle. Leave for 5 mins, then peel off skins.
There are more unmissable recipes in this week’s Woman’s Weekly, on sale every Wednesday, only 82p! Subscribe today to Woman’s Weekly and get 28% off!
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.