Light, healthy and under £1 a head, this warm chicken salad will fast become a firm favourite. Use up leftover chicken to whip up this hearty lunch or light dinner
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley, rinsed well
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g (4oz) frozen peas
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- About 60g (2oz) fresh spinach leaves
- About 25 fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 250g (8oz) cooked chicken, roughly shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
- About 15g (½oz) flaked almonds, toasted
- Put the barley in a pan with 1.5 litres (2½ pints) boiling water and the salt, bring back to the boil and simmer for 35-40 mins until the barley is tender.
- Drain the barley, tip it into a large bowl, add the cooked peas, spring and spinach and stir to let the spinach wilt and the veg warm through.
- Put the mint leaves in a tall jug, or bowl, with the oil and whizz with a stick blender to make a dressing.
- Add the shredded chicken, seasoning and mint oil to the warm barley mixture and stir well. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve warm.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.