Stuffed with nuts, smoked cheddar, artichokes and fresh herbs – these vegetarian timbales are great for a party as they can be made ahead of time and look stunning!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 45g (1½oz) butter
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 100g (3½oz) pine nuts, finely chopped
- 125g (4oz) white breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon
- 60g (2oz) smoked Cheddar cheese, grated
- 280g jar (170g drained weight) sliced artichokes in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 200g (7oz) ready-cooked and peeled chestnuts, all but 3 chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbps each of chopped fresh parsley, sage and thyme
- 6 sage leaves
Baking tray lined with a Teflon non-stick sheet, and 6 rings (7.5cm/3in) lined with baking parchment
- Heat butter in a pan, add onion and garlic; cook for 5 mins.
- Add pine nuts, breadcrumbs, rind and juice of half the lemon, cheese, artichokes and chestnuts. Season; stir in egg and herbs.
- Divide mixture between the rings. Smooth the tops with a palette knife. Cut the remaining lemon half into slices. Arrange half a lemon slice, half a chestnut and 1 sage leaf on top of each. Cover and chill until needed.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Bake timbales for 15 mins or until golden.
Open-freeze, unbaked, on tray. Bake as above, from frozen, for 20 mins.
Nutritional information per recipe
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.