Why not try our breadsticks with a twist? These witches’ broomsticks make a great Halloween treat for any Halloween party. They’re also great for serving with soup.
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) butter, chilled and cubed
- 90g (3oz) double Gloucester cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
You will also need:
- 2 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
- Put the flour and butter into a food processor. Put the lid on and whizz for about 20 seconds, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and milk and whizz again for about 30 seconds, until it forms a ball. Tip out, wrap in cling film and pop in the freezer for 15 mins to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the dough between 2 sheets of non-stick Teflon or 2 sheets of baking parchment. Use a rolling pin, flatten the dough and then roll out to a rectangle, about 1cm (½in) thick. Cut 18 stick shapes from the pastry, each about 10cm (4in) long and 5mm (¼in) wide. Using a palette knife, gently ease them on to a baking tray. Make about half a dozen cuts to form the “brush” of each broomstick.
- Mix the Marmite with 1 tsp hot water and brush over the brooms to glaze, sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 10 mins or until crisp and golden brown. Serve warm with soup or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Nutritional information per portion
Fat 23.0g, Saturates 5.0g, Calories 429(kcal)