A delicious tea time treat with a crunchy, nutty surprise on top. This coffee and walnut cake is a real crowd pleaser (but make sure you save some for yourself!)
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the coffee and walnut cake:
- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp good coffee granules mixed with 2tbsp boiling water, or 1tsp coffee essence
- 90g (3oz) chopped walnuts
For the filling and topping:
- 3tbsp granulated sugar for caramel
- 100g (3½oz) butter, softened
- 300g (10oz) icing sugar 1 rounded tbsp good coffee granules mixed with 1tbsp boiling water, or 1tbsp coffee essence
You’ll also need:
- 2 x 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a tablespoon of the flour. Fold in the rest of the flour, the baking powder, coffee, and all but about 15g (½ oz) of the walnuts.
- Divide the mixture between the tins. Bake for 30 mins. Leave in tins for 10 mins, then turn out to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the caramel: Heat the sugar gently in a small pan until it caramelises. Pour on to foil on a baking sheet. Leave to set. It will take about 10 mins.
- To make the buttercream: Beat the rest of the ingredients together until smooth. Use to sandwich the cakes together, and spread on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining walnuts round the cake’s top edge. Shatter the caramel and sprinkle over nuts
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings and does not include the ‘To serve’ suggestion.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.