Packed with prawns, mushrooms, soya beans and chicken, this nutritious dish is great for family dinners.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time:10-15 mins
- 500g pack Thai fragrant rice and 3tbsp groundnut oil
- About 60g (2oz) each of diced raw pork, raw tiger prawns, raw or cooked, diced skinless chicken, diced pancetta or cooked ham
- About 60g (2oz) frozen soya beans or peas
- 150g (5oz) shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean (halved if large)
- 150g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1tbsp Chinese (Shaoxing) cooking wine
- 400ml (14fl oz) hot chicken stock
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 Cook the rice following the instructions on the pack. Drain and rinse through with running cold water and leave to drain in a large sieve, then cool in a large bowl.
- 2 Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the raw ingredients – pork, prawns, chicken, and pancetta – and stir-fry for 1 min. Add any cooked meats, the soya beans or peas, shiitake mushrooms and bamboo shoots, and stir-fry for another couple of minutes until cooked through.
- Add the wine, pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Season with salt, to taste then spoon into a large bowl.
- Wipe the wok clean with kitchen paper. Put it back on the heat with rest of the oil. Beat eggs with a little seasoning and pour into the hot oil, swirling them round. When half cooked, add all the rice in batches and stir-fry using a large spatula to break up any lumps. When hot, add the cooked ingredients in the stock. Mix well until hot, then add sliced spring onions and stir in. Serve hot. Serve with soy sauce if preferred.
Cook’s tip: Quantities also work as 1 small pork escalope, 1 chicken thigh, 70g pack cubed pancetta. This dish isn’t suitable for freezing, but the rice can be cooked the day before if cooled quickly and kept covered in the fridge. For quick cooking, prepare all the other ingredients and leave on a large plate, covered, in the fridge.Per serving: 300 calories; 4g fatRecipes: Kate Moseley. Photos: Simon Pask. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.