Make your four-legged friend feel like royalty by stitching this Union flag wool coat, complete with furry collar!
Finished size: 50 x 41cm excluding straps, for a dog measuring 64cm around its tummy and 53cm from collar to base of tail.
To make a royal dog coat you will need
- Tracing paper or greaseproof paper and pencil
- 50cm of 140cm-wide off-white boiled wool fabric
- 20cm of 140cm-wide red boiled wool fabric
- 40cm of 140cm-wide blue boiled wool fabric
- 25 x 10cm rectangle of off-white furry fabric, with the downward stroke of the fabric parallel with the short edges
- 20cm of 90cm-wide medium-weight iron-on interfacing
- Matching sewing threads
- 10cm of 3.8mm-wide sew-on Velcro
- Three 1.5cm metal buttons
Wool/polyester boiled wool, £10.45 for half a metre, My Fabrics
To make the royal dog coat paper patterns
On a photocopier, enlarge the patterns to the right size for your furry friend. Trace the patterns on to tracing paper or greaseproof paper, placing the coat and collar on folded paper, matching the broken lines to the fold. You may need to join sheets of tracing paper with sticky tape. Mark the lines of the flag and the notches and dots. Cut out the patterns and open out flat.
To cut out the fabric
1. Match the arrows to the grain of the fabrics and to the downward stroke of the furry fabric.
2. Cut one dog coat, eight narrow diagonal bands, four 18.5 x 3.5cm strips for the narrow vertical bands and four 26 x 3.5cm strips for the narrow horizontal bands from off-white fabric.
Cut two pairs of wide diagonal bands, two 20 x 8cm strips for the wide vertical bands and one 56 x 8cm strip for the wide horizontal band from red fabric. Cut four pairs of backgrounds, one 35 x 10cm rectangle for the front strap and one 35 x 18cm rectangle for the tummy strap from blue fabric.
Cut one collar from the furry fabric, cutting through the backing fabric only. Cut one 35 x 10cm rectangle for the front strap and one 35 x 18cm rectangle for the tummy strap from the interfacing. Snip the notches. Mark the dots on the wrong side of the coat with a pencil.
Note: Take a 1cm seam allowance. Join pieces with right sides together and edges level, matching the notches and dots.
To make the flag
1. Stitch narrow diagonal bands to either side of one wide diagonal band along the long edges. Press the seams open. Lay one background right side up with the long edge horizontal and the diagonal edge butted up against one long edge of the stitched diagonal bands.
2. Flip the background over the bands then pin and stitch the diagonal edge. Repeat to stitch the other diagonal edge of the band. Press the seams open.
3. Stitch one narrow vertical band to one short edge of the resulting patchwork rectangle. Press the seam open. Stitch one narrow horizontal band to the long upper edge. Press the seam open. One patchwork block of the flag is now complete. Repeat to make a mirror-image patchwork block.
4. Repeat step 1-3 to make another pair of patchwork blocks. Arrange one pair of blocks as shown in the diagram with a wide vertical band between them.
Stitch the narrow vertical bands to the long edges of the wide vertical band. Press seams open. Repeat to join the other pair of patchwork blocks to the other wide vertical band.
Stitch the long edges of the wide horizontal band to the upper long edges of the resulting rectangles. Press the seams open.
5. Lay the flag out flat right side up. Pin the coat pattern on top, matching the lines to the seams. Cut out the coat, this will be the top coat. Snip the notches and mark the dots on the wrong side.
To sew the royal dog coat
1. Cut the Velcro in half. On the right side on one half of the plain coat, pin and stitch a soft section of Velcro 1cm in from one pair of dots and 2cm in from the raw edge on one wide vertical band.
2. Press interfacing to the wrong side of the straps. Fold the straps lengthwise in half and stitch the outer edges, leaving one short edge open. Clip the corners and turn right side out. Press the straps. Topstitch 6mm from the pressed edges.
3. On the right side of the plain coat, pin and tack the front strap between the other pair of dots, matching the raw edges and the tummy strap centrally on the other wide vertical band, matching the raw edges. With the right sides facing up, pin and tack the collar to the top coat.
4. Pin the coats together. Stitch the outer edge, leaving a gap on one background. Snip the curves and turn right side out. Press the royal dog coat and slipstitch the gap closed. Topstitch 6mm from the pressed edges.
5. Lay the straps over the royal dog coat and mark the position of the Velcro with pins. Remove the coat and stitch the corresponding Velcro sections on the right side of the straps. On the top coat, sew a button on top of the Velcro position at the front and two buttons on top of the Velcro position at the tummy.